10 Common Things that Can Be Poisonous for Your Dog
6 min read
Thousands of dogs get exposed to different substances that seem harmless for humans but might be extremely dangerous for our canine friends. Even if you think that you have organized a safe environment for our dogs, there might be cases of accidental harm.
There are things that negatively affect both the mental and physical condition of the dog. Poisonous substances may cause neurological issues, gastrointestinal problems, respiratory or cardiac distress, lead to coma or other negative changes. Below you can find a list of the 10 common things that can be truly poisonous for your dog.
Over the counter medicine
You can leave some drugs that you take daily on the table or near your bed.
It’s a medication that you can buy without a prior visit to the medical doctor. Some common drugs are acetaminophen, ibuprofen, paracetamol, joint rubs, herbal substances, food supplements and so on. These medications seem to be harmless and somehow even safe as there’s no need to have any prescription to buy them.
However, about 20% of poisoned dogs have taken one of these medications. What’s the way out here? It’s simple - just make sure your dog cannot ever get to the place where you store the pills.
Taking Care of the Cat: Basic Rules
Some of the prescribed drugs can be dangerous for your dog’s health. For example, taking Acetaminophen or Tylenol may cause liver failure (it’s more dangerous for cats). Adderal or Concerts may cause tremors, seizures, high body temperatures, and heart problems. Medications that contain NSAIDs may lead to stomach and intestinal ulcers or even lead to kidney failure.
Dogs are mostly exposed to prescribed antidepressant drugs. For example, Prozac - it may cause serious neurological problems, lead to severe sedation, loss of self-coordination, seizures, tremors, and agitation.
The recommendation here is the same as in the previous item - hide all the prescribed drugs, so your dog will never find them.
Giving some food to the dog may be one of the ways to show your affection.
It’s so nice to share your food with someone you love and especially if it’s your dog. People tend to give some sweets, chocolate, cookies and other food that can be truly harmful to their dogs. Note things that are totally forbidden for dogs: grapes, raisins, chocolate and xylitol products.
Chocolate contains theobromine that is dangerous for dogs (it’s similar to caffeine). If you have dark bitter chocolate with a high concentration of cocoa - it’s a real poison for the dog. Chewing gums contain xylitol - for a dog, it may cause a sudden blood sugar drop or lead to liver failure. Grapes and raisins have a negative influence on kidneys.
Should My Pet Get to The Vet? Learn When It’s Time
It’s good to show your affection not with the food you love, but with the time you spend together.
Here we have severe toxins that a dog can inhale and get some health problems. It can be a spray, a bait station or any tick or flea treatment. If you use something like organophosphates to take care of your beautiful flowers, it’s good to make sure that your dog is not near you when you spray or pour the liquid on the plant.
Small dogs can get severely injured from pyrethrins or pyrethroids that you may use to take care of Chrysanthemum flowers. You should immediately look for help even if such liquid is applied to the skin. In simple words, a dog is not a good companion for taking care of the flowers or other plants.
It’s hard to find a household with no cleaners at all. Here we can have a great variety of issues including washing gel, sprays, kitchen cleaners and so on. One of the most dangerous substances that your dog may be exposed to is an alkaline cleaner. It is highly corrosive and mostly used to remove rust and calcium. Just imagine how this liquid will act in the dog’s stomach or even when applied on the skin.
Even if you have a so-called “natural” or “green” cleaner, it doesn’t guarantee any safety for pets. We recommend hiding everything that you use for cleaning away from the dog’s eyesight. And you should immediately call for help if you see that your dog is exposed to any of them.
Vet products and drugs
Chewable vet products may be so delicious that a dog will eat them all.
Simple Health Checkup List: Make Sure Your Dog Is Healthy
Vet medications are so delicious - they smell and taste good. As an owner of the dog, you may feel happy that your dog loves prescribed medications and asks you for some additional portions. However, be careful not to overdose. For example, Carprofen (or Rimadyl) is an anti-inflammatory medication - it’s good to relieve pain. If overdosed, your dog may have a severe gastric abscess and kidney failure. It’s good to be highly careful with other pain relievers such as Previcox, Dermaxx, and Rimadyl.
We should follow the same rule here as with the drugs for humans - hide vet products and medications. Treats are chewable and it may be hard for a dog not to eat the whole container at once. And this may lead to severe consequences.
Mice and rats are not welcome at homes or places you visit. Rodenticides are chemicals that we use to get rid of these species. It’s a poison for a tiny creature and it’s dangerous for any dog of any size. As there are many kinds of rodenticides, we can name some common problems that they may cause: internal bleeding, kidney failure, nonstop vomiting, brain swelling, bloat, and death.
The danger is not only in the poison itself - some dogs may find a dead rat outdoors and eat it. So it’s good to control your dog walks and prevent it from tasting anything outside.
Plants and flowers look beautiful and seem to be absolutely safe. However, there are some plants that may be dangerous for dogs. For example, a pretty lily may cause serious harm to the health condition of the dog. And if you see that your dog is exposed to it, you should immediately go to the vet hospital. If you wait for too long, a poison may cause kidney failure.
It’s good to find out the influence of every flower or plant that you have at home on the health of your dog.
How Do I Know My Dog Is Overheated?
Fertilizers are good for plants, trees, and flowers but not for dogs.
There are seldom cases of exposure but it’s good to keep the dog away when taking care of the soil. Little ingestions may lead to some bad feelings in the stomach while large ingestions may cause severe consequences.
Fertilizers may contain different components such as molybdenum, cobalt, copper, iron, phosphorus, nitrogen and so on. Some fertilizers may additionally contain pesticides and herbicides or even fungicides - taking such substances may lead to pancreatitis. Some common symptoms of which are nausea, diarrhea, hard breathing, and drooling.
It may seem weird that this kind of liquid in on the list. However, dogs like its taste and they are happy to have a drink or two. Antifreeze is very dangerous for dogs of any size and breed - it may lead to death. If you found your dog exposed to such liquid, we recommend rushing to the vet hospital right away.
The Bottom Line
Some items from the list seem harmless and even good for the dog’s health. However, it is only on the surface. Most of them are truly poisonous and have to be hidden far away. It is always easier to prevent the problem than to treat it. Take care of your pet!
- 7 Reasons Why People Around You Disapprove of Your Emotional Support Animal and What to Do About It
- Emotional Support for a Kid: What Animal to Choose
- How to Cope with Losing Your Emotional Support Pet
- How to Take Care of a Hamster: Full Guide
- Penny Wise and Pound Foolish Decisions You Have to Avoid with Your ESA